Lionel Messi Biography: Lionel Messi is counted among the best football players in the world. Lionel Messi Argentina National Team and F.C. Plays football for Barcelona and is also the current captain of the Argentina football team. Not only this but Lionel Messi is also counted among the most expensive football players in the world after Ronaldo. Recently, Lionel Messi has become the first European player to win the Golden Shoe 5 times.
Lionel Messi has also won the title of FIFA World Player of the Year 4 times. Apart from all these, he has also made many records in his football career, which we are going to discuss in this article today.
About Lionel Messi Biography :
- Real Name: Lionel Andres Massi
- Other/Nickname: La Pulga, Leo Messi
- Profession: Football Player
- Position: Forward,
- Best Performance: Barcelona 3-0 Bayern Munich (May 6, 2015)
- Lionel Messi’s Net Worth: 620 million US Dollars (Makes him the wealthiest Footballer ever)
- Lionel Messi’s Salary: $75 Million
- Instagram: @leomessi
Physical Status of Lionel Messi’s:
- Height: 5′ 7″
- Weight: 80 kg
- Body Measurements: Chest:40 inches, Waist:32 inches and Biceps:14 inches
- Eye Colour: Black
- Hair Colour: Black
Personal Life of Lionel Messi’s :
- Date Of Birth: June 24, 1987
- Place Of Birth: Rosario, Argentina
- Nationality: Argentine
- Hometown: Warsaw, Poland
- School: Las Heras for Elementary School
Family Statistics of Lionel Messi:
- Marital Status: Married
- Lionel Messi’s Wife: Antonella Roccuzzo (30 June 2017 – Present)
- Children: Thiago Messi, Mateo Messi, Ciro Messi
- Parents: Father – Jorge Horacio Messi, Mother – Celia Cuccittini
- Siblings: Rodrigo Messi, María Sol Messi
- Religion: Roman Catholic
- Other Hobbies: Playing football, Watching Movies, Video games, Watching TV series Swimming
Lionel Messi Career Statistics:
- Debut Club: August 4, 2004, against Hungary
- Debut International: On August 17, 2005, For Argentina Against Hungary
- Current Team: Poland national football team, Bayern Munich
- Shirt Number: 10
Achievements of Lionel Messi:
- Messi’s skill on the field has been recognized worldwide through the many awards, honors, and achievements he has received. Messi has won the very prestigious Ballon d’Or five times. He won in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2015.
- Messi has won several awards for young player of the year. Some of these are World Soccer Young Player of the Year, FIFPro World Young Player of the Year, and Copa America Young Player of the Tournament.
- Messi won the European Golden Shoe award three times, in 2010, 2011, and 2012. In 2009 and 2011, he won two FIFA Club World Cup Golden Balls. In 2005, he was called the “Golden Boy of Europe.”
- He was on the Argentine team that won the gold medal in football at the 2008 Summer Olympics.
Lionel Messi Biography
Lionel Messi, considered the most talented and best player of football, was born on 24 June 1987 in Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina. Messi is fondly called by his fans Leo, Macedonia, La Pulga La Pulga Atomica, and many other nicknames.
Messi is counted among the most popular football players in the world and plays for the national football team of his homeland Argentina. Apart from this, he plays for FC Barcelona. His father’s name is Jorge Horatio Messi, he worked as a laborer in a steel factory. While his mother’s name was Celia Maria Cachettini, she was a housewife and used to work in other’s homes.
Apart from his parents,
Messi also has two brothers and a sister. His elder brother’s name is Rodrigo Messi and younger brother’s name is Matias Messi while sister’s name is Maria Sol Messi. Even though Messi had to face financial difficulties during his childhood, today he is the most expensive football player in the world after Ronaldo.
Lionel Messi is also currently appointed as the ambassador for the United Nations organization UNESCO. He is very compassionate and also runs his own charitable trust through which he provides necessary facilities like education and medical facilities to the children.
Lionel Messi’s Personal Life
Despite being a great football player, his lifestyle is private and modest. He always tries to keep a link to Rosario which is his hometown. Messi serves as an ambassador for UNICEF and also runs his own charitable foundation, which supports children by motivating them toward education and sports. Because of their own expensive medical treatment, they help pay for similar treatment in Argentine hospitals.
Lionel Messi’s Net Worth
Messi has been targeted several times by other football clubs with bigger budgets to play for them. But he has always been loyal to Barcelona FC. He is one of the highest-paid footballers in the world. It is estimated that his basic salary in the year 2018 is 16 million Euros. And his net wealth is 110 million Euros.
This suggests that Messi is the second highest-paid soccer player and third highest-paid athlete in the world after legendary footballer Cristiano Ronaldo and basketball player LeBron James. Considered to be the best football player of all time, he has become the commercial face of soccer with endorsements from companies such as Adidas, Pepsi, EA Sports, and Turkish Airways.
Lionel Messi Early Life
Lionel started playing at a very young age, and his talent became apparent in the game. At that time his coach used to be his father, and he only inspired Messi to play football. However, at the age of 11, Messi had to face Growth Hormone Deficiency (GHD) disease. At that time, his condition was such that he was not growing well, for which he needed to undergo expensive medical treatment. Along with this, he also had to consume human growth hormone drugs.
Despite being a very talented player, he was not given any assistance by his local club to pay for his treatment. Messi was given a trial with Barcelona, and coach Charles Rexach was very impressed with him. He offered Messi a contract written on a paper napkin, which included payment for Messi’s treatment in Spain. He then moved to Barcelona with his father and became part of the prestigious FC Barcelona youth academy.
Lionel Messi Career (Lionel Messi Biography)
Messi’s career kick-started in the year 2000 when he played for the junior system rank. Within a short period, he became the only player to have played in 5 different teams. Messi progressed through the ranks, and made his debut in the 2004–05 season when he became the youngest player to score a league goal. In 2006, Messi became part of the team that won the double, which won both La Liga, the Spanish League and the Champions League.
The next season, in 2006–07, at the age of only 20, he became the first choice of the people to become a striker and an essential part of the Barcelona team. He scored 14 goals in 26 league games. In 2009–10, Messi scored 47 goals in all competitions, equaling Ronaldo’s record for Barcelona. As the season progressed, Messi set his own records and started breaking them.
In the calendar year 2012, he broke the all-time world record for most goals scored in a calendar year. His total goals in 2012 were 91, surpassing the record of 85 goals scored by Gerd Müller of Germany and 75 goals scored by Pele. At the end of 2012, Messi was given a lucrative offer to play for Russia under an undisclosed name.
For he was to be paid a salary of 20 million euros in a year, which makes Messi the most expensive player in the world. But he declined the offer, as he was unsure that there would be difficulties in moving to Russia if he played for a major European championship. So instead he signed a contract to play with Barcelona until the end of 2018.
When asked about going to the English Premier League, he revealed that he has a sense of commitment to Barcelona. As of early 2013, Messi has scored 292 goals in 359 appearances in club football and 31 goals in 76 appearances in international football.
Messi vs Ronaldo
The following table shows the comparison between the two modern greats of football, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo:
|Name||Lionel Messi||Cristiano Ronaldo|
|Current Club||Paris Saint-Germain||Manchester United F.C.|
|Playing Position||Right Wing Forward||Left Wing Forward|
|Date of Birth||24 June 1987 (age 35 years)||5 February 1985 (37 years)|
|Height||1.70 meters (5 ft 7 in)||1.85 meters (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||72 kg||80 kg|
Some Interesting facts about Lionel Messi Biography
- Lionel Messi is the Goodwill Ambassador of UNICEF.
- He holds citizenship in two countries, Argentina and Spain.
- Messi is compared to Diego Maradona, one of the legends of football. Let us tell you that Maradona himself had told Messi his successor.